Windows 8 Touch Smart Ultrabook Laptop
Few months back, I had my first view and experienced of the Windows 8 interface and functionality in a laptop. I wasn’t amazed and didn’t appreciate the windows app interface as it doesn’t fully integrate in a normal laptop screen, given the limitation to go around the apps using only the mouse.
Excited to try the windows app interface on a touch screen laptop, we went to the stores and checked some of touch screen laptops. And one product has caught our eyes, so much so that we got intrigued and bought it.
The Envy 4 Touch Smart Ultrabook from HP. It is the latest 14” laptop with touch screen technology that allows direct control over the windows 8 interface. Once we got it in the office, we unboxed it right away and started testing all its features and functionality on the Windows 8 OS.
The notebook itself is just 23 mm (.9 in) thin with the screen closed but weighs 2.1 kg (4.77 lbs). This laptop is wrapped in plastic with brushed aluminum plates covering the screen lid as well as the top of the chassis around the keyboard and palm rests. The bottom half of the notebook is plastic.
The 14-inch glossy screen on the ENVY 4 is a pretty average LED backlit HD display with a 1366 x 768 resolution.
The ENVY 4 features Beats Audio software for improved audio output and uses two 2W stereo speakers located just above the keyboard and between the screen hinges, as well as a third 2W speaker located inside the bottom half of the chassis that acts as a subwoofer.
The ENVY 4 comes with either a standard keyboard or one with LED backlighting. The LED backlighting is helpful if you want to see the keyboard in a dark room or on a dimly lit surroundings.
HP ENVY 4 Touch Smart has the following specifications:
- Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)
- 14-inch glossy LED HD TouchSmart display (1366 x 768)
- Dual-core Intel Core i5-3317U Processor (1.7GHz, 2.6GHz Turbo frequency, 3MB cache, 17W TDP)
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM (2 DIMM, 16GB max supported)
- 500GB 5400rpm HDD plus 32GB mSATA SSD cache
- 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network adapter
- Internal Bluetooth v4.0
- Integrated 720p webcam
- LED Backlit keyboard
- Beats Audio with stereo speakers plus subwoofer
- 1-year limited hardware warranty
- 4-cell (52 WHr) Li-Po integrated battery
- 65W power adapter
- Weight: 4.77 lbs.
- Dimensions: 13.38 x 9.28 x 0.78 inches
Now it’s time to dissect all those features and the functionality of this laptop.
What’s great about it:
- I am pretty impressed by the accuracy and sensitivity of the Touch Smart display.
- It has great performance using Intel technology processor.
- I love the illuminated backlight keyboard.
- It has USB port that can be used to charge cellphones even if the laptop is off.
- Excellent price for a full featured laptop from HP. This product only costs SGD1199 or USD940.
What’s not so great about it:
- The 2.1 kg weight is still a burden to carry around. We can find ultrabooks that weighs less than that.
- Built-in Intel video graphics.
- The touch pad is a bit stiff.
- Battery life should have been longer. The battery lasts for only about 3 – 4 hours when in use.
Personally, despite of the cons that I have mentioned, for internet and social media enthusiasts, this laptop will work perfectly. I absolutely love it. The screen is bright, clear and crisp. The keyboard is perfectly lit. The touch screen is the most exciting new addition and it works perfectly. The computer is fast and elegant.
I would certainly recommend the Envy 4 Touch Smart Ultrabook from HP to students and adults for home and office use.