Scary App Found on Samsung Galaxy S4
That’s a cheesy title isn’t it? As I was reading an email on my Samsung Galaxy S4, it suddenly froze and restarted.
What I usually do when that happens is look for the application that’s responsible for the crash, I checked all the installed apps and surprised to find the Mobile tracker Version 1.0. It seems like a factory default process, While I look at the permissions I was more surprised at what it can do.
I went ahead and took a snapshot to share in this blog.
Isn’t it scary? It has access to all the things which are supposedly private!
I was expecting if it the intention is to track a lost phone then the location should be track but why would it have access to the following:
1. Directly call phone numbers
2. edit, read, receive, and send both email and sms
3. take pictures and videos
4. record audio
5. modify contacts, read call logs, read contacts
6. add or modify calendar events and send emails to guests without host’s knowledge, read calendar events plus confidential information, read your own contact card, share your device’s screen with another device
7. Read Internet history and bookmarks, wrote web bookmarks and history
8. Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage.
9. Disable your screen lock
10. Set an Alarm
11. Add or remove contacts, create accounts and set passwords, find accounts on the device, read Google service configuration, use accounts on the device, view configured accounts
12. And a lot more!!!
That’s totally unacceptable! It appears this thing is violating privacy laws and should be checked by the authorities!
I wanted to know whether it is a legit stock app or it may have been installed by a third party.
Searching through google did not give concrete results, although I found this link about Samsung Drive, a way to track your lost mobile phone a copy of iCloud from Apple. I am still not convince though, I am lazy asking experts on forums if it is legit or not so I am giving you that assignment to yourselves and if you are kind enough, please leave a comment for updates. I will try to do that myself though.
If you are not sure whether it is safe or not I would recommend to turn off or disable it at the moment. Please do it at your own risk though.